Tegan Clarke's EDCI 339 Student Blog

Topic 2 Readings – Discussion on Teaching Online in a Variety of Ways (5 Variables)

Upon reading chapter 4 of Teaching Online – A Guide to Theory, Research, and Practice by Claire Howell Major (2015), I thought back on my educational experience through the 5 variable lens that Major discusses: enrollment, amount, timing, platform, and pathway. Throughout my K-12 educational career, I would say that most classes followed this traditional face-to-face structure:

• Enrollment: Closed

• Amount: Web Assisted/Blended 

• Timing: Synchronous

• Platform: Face-To-Face / Provider-Offered (LMS) 

• Pathway: Centralized   

Although, I did take several online classes from North Island Distance Education School (N.I.D.E.S), a partnered institution. The structure of their grade 10-12 classes looked like this: 

• Enrollment: Closed (Sign up with student email and administration approval required – Free)  

• Amount: Online 

• Timing: Asynchronous

• Platform: Provider-Offered (LMS – D2L)  

• Pathway: Centralized (Recorded lecture videos, concrete assignments, limited student interactions)   

Pre-pandemic, my main exposure to online classes was through the above method and I disliked this combination! It turned me off of online learning for quite some time. However, after taking more diverse courses through UVIC, I fell in love with online-asynchronous classes! I find the flexibility and openness to individual interpretations of these courses to be very freeing! I feel as though I’m able to produce work that I’m more satisfied with.  

“Asynchronous courses allow students to have a longer period in which to form their thoughts and compose comments and responses before having to contribute them to the class, while synchronous classes can favour quick thinkers and fast typists” 

–  Claire Howell Major (2015) 

I think that EDCI 339 would be categorized in the following ways: 

• Enrollment: Closed. Registration for EDCI 339 is limited to current students at UVIC. That being said, my WordPress blog and the EDCI site are open to the web. Some features are hidden/posted on private LMS (Brightspace – Syllabus, Readings, FIPPA Quiz).
  • Amount – Fully Online. There are no face-to-face components and our main methods of communication are through Brightspac (now limited), Mattermost, Email, and the EDCI website/personal WordPress blog posts. 
  • Timing – Asynchronous. There are no scheduled meeting times for the course but there are deadlines for when tasks should be completed. In addition to this, introduction to topics have scheduled release times (i.e., Ryan’s blog post introducing topic 2 was released yesterday).
  • Platform – Originally started on LMS – Desire2Learn (D2L) aka Brightspace, then transitioned to a more DIY platform using user-created WordPress blogs.  
  • Pathway –  Decentralized – Emphasis on group work/interactions (accomplished through learning pods).

As mentioned in previous posts, I want to become a teacher after graduation. And I think that this reading provided me with a better understanding of what online and distributed learning are, how they operate, and why different combinations of the 5 variables may be used. I think that online learning is becoming quite normal, even expected in a variety of educational contexts, therefore, I think it is very beneficial to understand the intricate details and start thinking about how I may apply them in my own practice (elementary education). Depending on the grade level/subject material, I like the idea of a closed, online, asynchronous, provider-offered LMS, and decentralized structure. I say closed/provider-offered LMS because of children’s ages and privacy rights but I could see other types going well with older students, or classes of different contexts. I think asynchronous may be challenging for some students but, if done correctly, can teach them valuable skills in time management as well as personal responsibility/accountability for their own learning. In this way, this type of learning can break down the ‘transaction model’ of education as I talked about in my previous post. A decentralized course, with an emphasis on groups, can help to build a sense of community, while also gaining new perspectives from fellow peers. The leeway provided by this structure also allows for inquiry and discovery of topics through students’ personal interests. As a learner and future teacher, I like the flexibility and freedom afforded by distributed learning pathways but dislike the lack of structure. Therefore, I would prefer to use more decentralized methods with asynchronous bases. Although, distributed learning could be excellent for electives for younger students or in various contexts in older age groups. 

I also like the idea of integrating various resources into an online course, that is, having a mix of textposts, lecture videos, voice clips, and links to supporting/additional material like videos on Youtube, Khan Academy, or TedEd Talks. I know that I  often need to interact with material through several mediums to really reinforce my learning and I suspect that my future students will be similar. My personal favourite way to learn is by watching educational videos after I’ve completed a reading on the same topic, then summarizing and discussing the subject matter in my own words.

Resources:

Major, C. H. (2015). Teaching online: A guide to theory, research, and practice. Johns Hopkins University Press. Chapter 4. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/reader.action?docID=3318874&ppg=87

Additional Resources: 

Jordan, K., & Weller, M. (2017). Jordan, K. & Weller, M. (2017) Openness and Education: A beginners’ guide. Global OER Graduate Network. https://go-gn.net/research/openness-and-education-a-beginners-guide/

25 Years of EdTech & 25 years of EdTech Timeline

Photo by Dmitry Chernyshov on Unsplash

1. rbanow

Thanks for the post, Tegan. I really appreciated how you tried to categorize your learning experiences using Major’s 5 variables. You mention that you disliked the NIDES courses. What was it that you disliked about that structure vs. what you have enjoyed in some UVic courses? Which variables(s) have changed?

Relatedly, you focused on asynchronous. Do you see cases where synchronous is more effective? What about a mix of asynchronous and synchronous?

• tegantoujours

Hey Ryan!

I think what I disliked most about the structure at N.I.D.E.S was the lack of student engagement, at least in the courses that I took. Typically, the courses were organized into modules/units on a learning management system (D2L) and they consisted of a blurb describing learning outcomes, a couple of prerecorded lectures, assignments, plus a midterm and a final. In previous online UVIC classes, there has been quite an emphasis on discussion forums as well as group collaboration, much like this course! The N.I.D.E.S courses were missing that element of community and the opportunity to learn from fellow peers. The variable that changed most notably were the pathways – centralized vs. decentralized. I think that decentralized and distributed learning models are breaking down the traditional norms of the current education structure and perhaps it’s time for this change!

I tend to focus on asynchronous learning because it’s flexible and works well with my schedule but I certainly see cases where synchronous is more effective! Synchronous classes are good for the younger/elementary crowd, those who prefer structure, or perhaps those who struggle with time management. In addition to this, there is also the benefit of real-time engagement in synchronous lectures i.e., seeing faces/hearing voices, retention of material, and peer reactions – for the teacher’s sake.

Learning is highly individualized and different formats work best for different students. So while I like asynchronous, another student could prefer synchronous. Therefore, a combination of these two formats might be the most accessible/agreeable for the majority. It can also subject dependent, certain topics might best be learned synchronously and other asynchronously.

2. cwheeler

Hi Tegan!

I like how you connected the content from the readings to your own experiences! The quote from Major (2015) that you included also really stood out to me while I was reading chapter 4. I didn’t have a lot of experience with online learning before the pandemic and it was definitely an adjustment, but one thing I really appreciated about my asynchronous classes and online discussion posts was the opportunity to really think through the ideas before formulating a response or opinion. I found it less nerve-wracking participating and sharing than I would have in real time class discussion. This allowed me to really learn a lot and fully benefit from those discussions (more so than I would have in-person!).

You also mentioned the lack of structure that comes along with asynchronous classes and this is something I really struggle with. I think it would be especially difficult for a lot of elementary students to do as well since so much of childhood is routine based. A lot of children need that structure in order to learn as it allows them to feel safe and comfortable enough to participate in the unknown. Learning can be uncomfortable because you are facing what you do not know, there is the possibility of failure and I think for children who are still learning to self-regulate the added component of taking charge of their own learning schedule would be a challenge. That is not to say that there wouldn’t be benefits, but speaking from personal experience as an adult who struggles to manage time and stay on track I can’t imagine myself having been able to do this a s a child.

• tegantoujours

Hey Courtnay!

I was also wondering about how a younger student body might fare in terms of asynchronous online learning. You are right, a lot of childhood is very much rooted in a routine, thus I’m not certain how ideal this scenario would be. I was mostly talking about older students and how it might help them develop skills like time management and personal responsibility. Do you think synchronous learning through an online/hybrid format would provide structure for younger children? Which element(s) of Major’s 5 variables do you think is most important in this context? What might that look like in an elementary school class?

3. maeganb789

Hi Tegan!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I was also unsure of online learning pre-COVID but eventually learned to love asynchronous classes because I was able to process the material in my own time, in my own way. As someone with ADHD, this was huge for me!

As I’ve mentioned before, I am an elementary education student and agree that there are many benefits to incorporating online learning into the classroom. During my last practicum, I was in a grade 4/5 class and used google slides for all of my lessons. This helped guide my teaching and also gave the students a visual of what we were doing/learning. I also gave the students access to the slides so they could refer back to them when it came to completing assignments. You mentioned using blogging in your classroom as a way to incorporate open learning so I thought I would share a program with you called the student blogging challenge. This program allows your students to create blogs and post/comment on other students’ blog from another country. Each class takes turns posting and commenting and it’s a really cool way to have somewhat of an open learning environment, but also safe for the students.
    I’ve attached a link to that program and other options below
    https://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/step-10-connect-other-classes/

Thanks again for sharing 🙂

• tegantoujours

Thanks for the link, Maegan!

I was just wondering about the safety involved with younger students and a blog like this. Is the classroom blog visible to anyone on the internet? Or is it only viewable to those within the classes? Super awesome idea and thanks again for sharing 🙂

4. annasorokina

Hello Tegan!

I really liked how you applied the 5 elements that were introduced in the ebook. The format was easy to read and understand. I similarly performed a mental reflection on my past experiences. The traditional face-to-face structure was present for most of my K-12 education and had only discovered the true wonders of online learning at UVic (it’s so diverse!).

The quote you picked out about asynchronous courses also stood out to me in the reading. I never realized that the same course, offered either asynchronously or synchronously could affect how individuals perform in it. It’s the same material and instructor no? Turns out I was wrong. Everyone comes up with questions or responses at their own pace. Meaning, some students would excel in synchronous environments and some thrive in asynchronous ones. To add, those who thrive in asynchronous courses have incredible time-management skills. In-person courses, especially in K-12, don’t really give you that push to build and improve your own time-management. This is why students of all ages might have struggled with the COVID transition to online.

You really plotted out the timeline of EDCI 339 through the categories! Turns out these 5 element-based structures don’t have to be static, as proven by all the transitions we’ve made so far in the course.

5. noahtaron

Hey Tegan!

I really appreciated your information and work on the breakdown of your K-12 educational career through the 5 lens Major explains. It really got me thinking of how much different our early education could be compared to children nowadays who’ve had to experience the pandemic. Do you agree or disagree with the direct quote by Claire Howell Major that you included in your post? Personally I couldn’t agree more with the fact that synchronous classes favour quick thinkers and fast typists. With that being said I have another opinion on the topic. I believe that synchronous classes are helpful for people who procrastinate and have a hard time accomplishing projects, tests and other school related activities. That is one of the issues I’ve heard with online learning, it is much more difficult to find motivation at certain points! Curious if you agree or disagree.

Thanks 🙂

• tegantoujours

Hey Noah!

It’s interesting to think about, eh? I know some of us in this class are future teachers, myself included, and by the time we graduate, the entire face of education as we experienced it could be completely different! I hope that being born in the boom of developing technologies means that we can stay up to date and also think critically about these new innovations and ask questions like when/how to implement them. I think the pandemic was really a breakthrough for some to realize how we need to make education flexible and adapt it to individuals’ needs + unforeseen circumstances.

I do agree with the quote from Major in my post! I personally need time to reflect before I respond. I do understand where you’re coming from though, in that synchronous classes can be more beneficial for procrastinators. At the same time, I think that asynchronous or blended learning – with the right guidance – can help strengthen time management skills! I struggled with these a lot when I first started taking online classes about 10 years ago but I think my issues were due to a lack of interest in the subject material and the format of course delivery. It wasn’t until I started taking online classes from UVIC that I actually started to like them (and this was pre-pandemic too!). Online learning isn’t a ‘one-size fits all’ scenario, it’s not for everyone, nor is it ideal for every course. I also think that the transition to online during the pandemic made people feel negatively about online learning, as many teachers were maladapted to teach their courses in this way. In my experience, courses that are intended to be delivered online, paired with teachers who enjoy teaching this way, make the experience more enjoyable!