Hello! My name is Tegan Clarke and Iā€™m really excited to be taking this course!

Hereā€™s a little background about me:

Iā€™m 25 years old and Iā€™m in my ā€˜fourthā€™ year here at UVIC. Iā€™ve changed my program a couple of times and even took a break from school for a little while, but Iā€™ve been back at it since the summer of 2020! It took me a while to find my niche, but Iā€™ve finally found it and Iā€™m majoring in Applied Linguistics and minoring in French. After I graduate, Iā€™d like to enroll in the elementary post-degree professional program (PDPP) so that I can teach in a French immersion environment and/or assist with other language needs. I love working with children and I find language learning/acquisition incredibly fascinating, so Iā€™m happy I can combine these interests.

I was born and raised in the Comox Valley, which is just a couple of hours north of Victoria, where I’ve been for the last 6 years.  While I do consider Victoria my home, I still like to visit up island to see my family and friends.

I donā€™t have too much free time between classes and working but I love the outdoors. I love to go hiking, camping, rollerblading, just about anything, you name it! When Iā€™m inside, I like to spend my time reading, watching films, and listening to music. Iā€™m an avid vinyl record collector and I love to host album release parties whenever I can.

I’m taking this course to learn more about ā€œdistributed learningā€ and ā€œopen learningā€! Before this week, I thought my understanding of these terms were pretty good but perhaps Iā€™ve been using these terms interchangeably and a tad bit incorrectly. What immediately comes to mind upon hearing these words are things like online/distance learning, the integration of various sources of technology, as well as the accessibility and affordability of learning materials. Iā€™ve had several experiences with these types of education formats, the first of which being in high school when we partnered with an online school called N.I.D.E.S. I took several online asynchronous classes to fit around my regular school timetable and work schedule. I’ve also taken many online classes at UVIC, pre and ā€˜postā€™ pandemic. Many of these courses have offered free access to readings and videos so that we students didnā€™t have to purchase textbooks, which I love! In addition to this, many of these courses were semi-self-paced and often student-led rather than instructor-focused. My ultimate goal for taking this course is to learn more about the intricate differences and similarities between these two concepts so that I can apply and integrate them into my own teaching once I receive my certificate.